Braunstone Leisure Centre, Braunstone, 5th January 2019
Two years ago after a wait of around a decade Burton Amateur Swimming Club had returned to the top Division of the League following the Division 2 title being secured in 2016. The club did amazingly well to avoid relegation for the first time in their history in 2017 and then in 2018 despite a clash on round 2 for the County Championships we won an amazing second tier final at a snowbound Nuneaton to finish our highest ever place in 9th. So how would we go in a 3rd consecutive year in the top flight?
The format of the league will see 18 teams split into 3 galas for the first two rounds – leading to the top 8 going into a final – the next 5 being in a gala – and the bottom 5 facing a gala that would see 3 relegated back for the 2020 season to division 2.
The draw saw us face the Coalville A and Braunstone B which both finished in the top 8 last year, plus Long Eaton, Penguins and Hinckley B. All clubs faced missing swimmers with this gala taking place before the schools reopened – so who would miss swimmers the most – and what would that mean to the likely finishing positions? Could Burton have a go at reaching the impossible dream of a final in the Winter League which had 9 Arena teams plus Autumn Champions Rushden in its very strong 18 teams??
The format is 4 age groups are as at 31/12/19 and are age 11, 13, 15 and open – with the main changes being the addition of an Individual medley, the age 15 kids doing 100 fly not 50m. plus all the young kids doing 50m not 25m races.
Winter league debuts went to Lana Clamp, Jaina Muogbo, Bella Richards, Lucas Joubert, Dylan Campbell, Toby Durkan, Josh Cooper, Paige Colling and Connor Small.
10 First Places:
Jaina Muogbo, Bella Smith, Lana Clamp and Bella Richards – age 11 free relay
Bella Smith – age 11 50m back
Dylan Mitchell – age 11 50m back
Matt Gates – open 100m free
Bella Smith – age 11 50m breast
Ella Cooper – age 13 50m free
Lana Clamp – age 11 50m fly
Jaina Muogbo – age 11 50m free
Dylan Mitchell – age 11 50m free
Jaina Muogbo, Bella Smith, Lana Clamp and Bella Richards – age 11 medley relay
14 Second Places:
Matt Gates – open 100m IM
Dylan Campbell, Lucas Joubert, Josh Cooper and Toby Durkan – age 11 free relay
Tom Mitchell, Matthew Appelbee, George Preston and Noah O’Brien – age 15 free relay
Ella Cooper, Georgia Ulyett, Brieana Shrive and Ruby Welsford – age 13 free relay
Tom Mitchell – age 15 100m breast
Ella Cooper – age 13 50m fly
Josh Cooper – age 11 50m breast
Matthew Appelbee – age 15 100m fly
Jack Ward – open 100m back
Ruby Welsford – age 13 50m back
Oliver Frost – age 13 50m back
Tom Mitchell, Matthew Appelbee, George Preston and Noah O’Brien – age 15 medley relay
Ella Cooper, Georgia Ulyett, Brieana Shrive and Ruby Welsford – age 13 medley relay
Jack Ward, Adam Doughty, George Stevens and Matt Gates – open medley relay
6 Third Places:
Edan Maxwell, Oliver Frost, Connor Small and James Copley – age 13 free relay
Jack Ward, Adam Doughty, George Stevens and Finley Brown – open free relay
Sophie Fowkes – age 15 100m fly
Matthew Appelbee – age 15 100m free
Sophie Fowkes – open 100m fly
Edan Maxwell, Oliver Frost, Connor Small and James Copley – age 13 medley relay
From the start it was clear that Coalville A would take first place – with Long Eaton struggling post their promotion from Division 2 last year – the other 4 clubs all pushing each other – Burton never moved from second place but the others kept swapping places and pushing Burton all the way – the level of commitment and fight shown on the night was very impressive. To swim 33 PB times so soon after the period of festive cheer and lack of training was brilliant.
- STAR SWIMMER – The age 11 girls team – they won all 6 races – huge credit to Jaina Muogbo, Bella Smith, Bella Richards and Lana Clamp.
- STAR RACE – Dylan Mitchell for his win in the age 11 50m free
- An amazing 33 PB times swam so soon after a break from training was fantastic – with only 2 DQ
- Ella Cooper and Sophie Fowkes for swimming up to keep the momentum in the team
- Matthew Appelbee for doing the 100m fly and free double in a short space of time
- Matt Gates for winning the 100m free in a strong field
- Josh Cooper for his amazing 50m Breast
- All the young swimmers taking on 50m in such amazing fashion – when for so many it was there first go at the distance in a gala.
Results after 51 races:-
So the club has earned 5 points for coming 2nd in round 1 and we now await the draw for the second round on March 2nd. Early indications are we sit 5th in the league table after round 1. Surely we cannot make the grand final???
Massive thanks go to:-
– the coaching team of Simon and Ian for all the advice and encouragement on the night
– Debbie, Martin, Jo, Karen and Donna for the officiating and timing
– Simon, Lee, Emily and Rachel for the sending and looking after the swimmer’s poolside
– All the parents for once again taking time out of their busy weekends to travel and support the team