On Sunday the 13th January 35 BASC swimmers planned to get out of bed very early to have a go in the annual Long Eaton Open. The venue was the usual Queen Street baths in Derby and the club was really proud to see such a massive take up.
The kids did the club proud – we won 57 medals, 64 PB swam, 5 new County QT in our races this year. The gala was all based on age on the day – with kids who are born February to June being in the older section of their swim peers this time around.
The gala attracted swimmers from the big clubs in Derby, Nottingham and Cannock– and like many open meets was full before its closing date. It was run with all HDW heats other than freestyle where top 6 went again in finals at the end of each session.
The team spirit was amazing – those present will never forget a few things – notably:-
– The roar as the BASC kids went in the 17 freestyle finals at the end of both sessions
– 24 different swimmers won at least one medal
– Seeing some heats have 4 swimmers from our club
– A CLUB RECORD 20 different swimmers take home a medal
– Great debuts for Blythe Wroughton, Yuri Oliferuks and Finlay Pearson.
– Jonny Stimpson winning 50m breast
– 4 kids getting new county times – Georgia Ulyett (2 times), Bella Smith, Amelie Spiers and Amelie Brown.
– STAR SWIMMER – Josh Cooper who won the 100m Breast and made his first final at an open meet in the 50m free
– STAR RACE – Amelie Brown, Amelie Spiers and Georgia Ulyett for all gaining county time in the 100m fly.
As always Simon and Ian advised and gave encouragement and Jane/Suzanne helping poolside in both sessions to give great support to all kids – from all of the kids a massive thank you to all of you guys. Also a huge thank you once again to Debbie Preston who represented the Club as our official on the day.
With the County window now closed we have a period of league fixtures, friendlies, internal tests and counties to look forward to before getting back to open meets for all in June 2019 at Nuneaton.