Braunstone Leisure Centre – 16th February 2019
Reader Information: You will need to login to view the times for this event [Clubland Member login required].
A team consisting of very young swimmers – some making debuts – and a few more swimming in a rare gala gave us a novice team for the annual journey to Braunstone. The superb 8 lane pool and electronic timing would make most kids nervous…………..all we had was smiles and the best kids in the gala in terms of team spirit. They all cheered each other on – we won loudest team of the night – and while parents arrived with understandable nerves they all left at 8.30 with pride in what the young team achieved.
Debuts (excluding BASC hosted gala) went to Olivia Standley, Jessica Ulyett, Aleksander Tutt, Edward Frost, Joseph Mills, Percy Mercer, Jack Fleeman and Jimmy Collier.
The rest of team last night was Emily Copley, Blythe Wroughton, Sophia Wheeler, Lana Clamp, Bella Richards, Poppy Rayner, Beth Holmes, Freya Smith, Amber Wan, Charlie Miller, Georgia Ulyett, Bella Smith, Issy Mills, Dylan Campbell, Toby Durkan, Jonny Stimpson, Josh Cooper, Dylan Mitchell, Harry Preston, Oliver Frost, Finlay Pearson and Yuri Oliferuks.
Captains for the nights were Harry Preston and Georgia Ulyett.
The gala is designed to encourage clubs to let kids get a swim in a gala environment – therefore the ‘speeding ticket’ system was in place to stop rewarding clubs swimming kids with experience. Some clubs adopted the league approach of faster kids getting individual races – all our kids got at least 2 races and it was a total team effort on the night – the faster kids selected for relays or a different stroke to what they normally swim for the club
The teams on show included the hosts Braunstone A, Swadlincote, Neptune A, Coalville, Neptune B, Braunstone B, Hinckley and defending champions Burton – from the start it was clear Braunstone A had no intention of letting the title leave without a fight – but Burton was not keen to give up the title without a real contest. The lead swapped hands numerous times during the 39 races and was a great advert for swimming.
10 First Places – after speeding ticket adjustments
- Olivia Standley -25m back
- Dylan Campbell – 25m breast
- Dylan Campbell, Jonny Stimpson, Toby Durkan and Josh Cooper – 4 x 25m free relay
- Georgia Ulyett, Bella Smith, Amber Wan and Charlie Miller – 4 x 25m free relay
- Dylan Mitchell, Yuri Oliferuks, Harry Preston and Oliver Frost – 4 x 25m relay
- Bella Richards – 25m back
- Georgia Ulyett, Bella Smith, Amber Wan and Charlie Miller – 4 x 25m medley relay
- Dylan Mitchell, Harry Preston, Oliver Frost and Finlay Pearson – 4 x 25m medley relay
- Blythe Wroughton – 25m free
- Aleksander Tutt – 25m free
- Emily Copley, Olivia Standley, Lana Clamp, Freya Smith, Charlie Miller and Bella Smith – breast cannon
6 Second Places
- Edward Frost – 25m back
- Josh Cooper – 25m free
- Lana Clamp, Bella Richards, Poppy Rayner and Beth Holmes – 4 x 25m free relay
- Toby Durkan – 25m free
- Issy Mills – 25m breast
- Olivia Standley – 25m free
5 Third Places
- Issy Mills – 25m free
- Percy Mercer, Jimmy Collier, Aleksander Tutt and Jack Fleeman – 4 x 25m medley relay
- Bella Richards, Lana Clamp, Beth Holmes and Poppy Rayner -4 x 25m medley relay
- Finlay Pearson – 25m breast
- Percy Mercer – 25m free
Overall Result after 39 races:
A very pleasing 2nd place was gained –but key was loads of experience gained and smiles . A HUGE NUMBER OF PB TIMES.
Massive credit to all the coaches who have been working in the little pool as 20% of our team came from this section 5 and 6 last night – they all got over the nerves to leave with huge smiles on their faces and recorded 41 PB times between them over the 39 races including Relay Splits.
Joint STAR SWIMMERS – Debutant Olivia Standley for overcoming nerves to swim the first event and gaining two first places and Dylan Campbell for his two wins on the night -he is getting more confident as the galas go by.
STAR RACE – Bella Richards winning 25m back by a huge margin – one of our most improved swimmers and about to have a big impact on the 2019 Diddy season.
Huge thank you to all new parents for letting the kids have a go – massive thanks to Andy Hiatt, Jo Stimpson, Brian Newbold and George Preston for coaching the team – Simon Smith, Paul Smith, Lee Frost and Emily Ulyett for looking after the kids and sending them to the right races – and to Jason & Sarah Cooper and Dave Miller for timing – And HUGE thank you to Debbie Preston and Craig Day for attending as our required officials
Well done everyone!!!!!!