ARC Leisure Centre, Matlock. 10th February 2018
Reader Information: You will need to login to view the times for this event [Clubland Member login required].
A blended team of experience and debutants took the winter evening drive along the A6 to the highly impressive Matlock ARC Leisure Centre. Some more experienced kids helped some nervous and excited kids find their feet in this friendly gala last night – in total we had 30 swimmers taking part last night all aged between 8 and 11.
8 lanes and an away gala was the setting for Emily Copley, Freya Smith, Bella Richards, Poppy Rayner, Amber Wan, Izzy Mills, Daniel Spiers, Dylan Campbell and Max Llewellyn to make either their debut or first swim in a non Burton pool – all did amazingly well and gained experience alongside Lana Clamp, Amelia Hathaway, Bella Smith, Jaina Muogbo, Amelie Spiers, Polly Hudson, Amelie Brown, Georgia Ulyett, Rachael Greener, Jonny Stimpson, Toby Durkan, Jasper Saunders, Lucas Joubert, Dylan Mitchell, Josh Cooper, James Williams, Max Sandle, Jed Bavester, James Copley, Harry Preston and Oliver Frost that will help when the League starts in April.
The format of this gala is that each age group had individual races over 25m or 50m, but that every event was ran twice – so two girls then two boys did each individual event – this gave us the chance to give more individual races than normal – and with the gala being a speeding ticket event we picked a team that would need to do a PB to ‘speed’ – which meant many got new strokes or distance for experience.
With all 8 lanes being used it was clear from early on that the gala was going to be won between the 5 teams – with Burton in that mix from the start – and Ripley, Derby, Swadlincote and Matlock pushing us for the prize of winners on the night. With even the relays having a cut off time we consistently swam within a fine margin on the time but secured 35 new PB times and a lot of smiles as we went through the 55 events.
10 First places:
Jaina Muogbo – 25m free
Lucas Joubert – 25m free
Amelie Brown, Polly Hudson, Rachael Greener and Georgia Ulyett – 4 x 50m girls medley relay
Amelie Brown, Amelie Spiers, Izzy Mills and Bella Smith – 4 x 50m girls free relay
James Williams, Jonathan Stimpson, Dylan Mitchell and Jasper Saunders – 4 x 25m medley relay
Jed Bavester – 50m fly
Max Sandle – 50m breast
Izzy Mills – 25m fly
Amelie Spiers – 50m free
James Copley – 50m free
11 Second Places:
Amelia Hathaway – 25m free
Max Llewellyn – 25m free
Bella Richards, Amelia Hathaway, Lana Clamp and Rachael Greener – 4 x 25m medley
Oliver Frost -50m back
Bella Smith – 50m fly
Georgia Ulyett – 50m fly
Max Sandle – 50m fly
Amber Wan – 25m back
Jasper Saunders – 25m back
Harry Preston – 50m breast
Rachael Greener – 50m free
10 Third Places:
Oliver Frost, James Copley, Max Sandle and Harry Preston – 4 x 50m medley
Bella Smith – 25m breast
James Copley, Jed Bavester, Oliver Frost and Max Llewellyn – 4 x 50m free
Amelie Spiers – 50m back
Lana Clamp – 25m breast
Izzy Mills, Emily Copley, Amelia Hathaway and Freya Smith – 4 x 25m free
Jaina Muogbo – 25m back
Lana Clamp – 25m fly
Jasper Saunders – 25m fly
Amber Wan, Dylan Campbell, Jaina Muogbo, Max Llewellyn, Georgia Ulyett and Oliver Frost – cannon
The final result was :-
So another amazing night for the Burton team – just 4 points off retaining the title we won a year ago!!!
– JOINT STAR SWIMMERS – the age 11 girls relay teams made up of Amelie Brown, Polly Hudson, Rachael Greener, Georgia Ulyett, Amelie Spiers, Izzy Mills and Bella Smith – they won 2 very closely thought relays with the much bigger girls from Matlock in amazing fashion – the improvement on the opposition on the second leg of every leg due to the turns and pacing was fantastic – the 50m fly time of Rachael was 2.5 seconds under a county time which was simply amazing as she pushed to give Georgia the chance to win the medley relay – which she did in great fashion.
– JOINT STAR RACE – Izzy Mills ( 25 fly ) and James Copley ( 50 free) – while we won other races these came when the kids were nervous and tired having already done other races in the programme.
– The kids making their debuts all did it with great technique and smiles – especially Poppy Rayner, Bella Richards And Amber Wan who all overcame nerves to swim so well.
– Bella Smith, Georgia Ulyett, Max Sandle and Jed Bavester for some amazing new PB times in 50m fly.
– The TEAM SPIRIT – we had the noisiest support from our kids for the friends who were racing in every event – while swimming is seen at times as an individual support the team spirit we are lucky to have at the club is what helped us move from 4th to a very close 2nd this gala last night
Massive thank you to Craig Day and Martin Brown who travelled to officiate this event and therefore ensuring it happened – to Brian Newbold and Jo Stimpson for coaching and advising the kids on the night – to the poolside team of Jenny, Lee, Helen, Jo and swimmer George Preston for sending the kids and helping them on relays – and to the timekeeping from Debbie, Simon, Jason and Sarah – without parental help we cannot help the kids reach their potential so thank you once again – and to the parents who travelled despite the potential forecast of snow and cheered all our kids on once again
Well done everyone!!!!